- I graduated from the best MFA program in the universe.
- My last residency was incredible. I loved meeting the incredible incoming class. I loved spending time with some of my mentors. I loved teaching my seminar and giving my reading. I loved it all.
- I am very happy with my graduation speech. It went so smoothly and I think I did a good job of involving the whole class in my speech. I’ve been toying with posting it here, but I’m not sure if I should.
- Wolverine’s birthday party was a blast. The weather held out all day, which meant no rain until the party was over! Our water slide also worked the entire time. Mr. O put a lot of hard work into patching the holes on the slide, and the kids loved playing on the slide.
- Announcing Spry Literary Journal. (Ha, I didn’t quite announce it yet, but the big announcement should come tomorrow!)
- Iâ€™m doing a great job keeping up with myÂ 365 photo project. As of today, I am on day 179.
Stinky July Moments:
- My dad had a heart attack while I was away at schoolÂ which was very scary. Because of this he and my mother couldn’t come to my graduation. I’m very lucky to have a great boyfriend who videotaped the whole thing so that they could watch me graduate from the comfort of their living room!
- Everything happened at once. Between school, work, the literary journal, another editing project I’m involved in and my personal life… everything happened this month. Oh, well. All good stuff.
- Running into people I’d rather not see.
Other Mentionable Moments:
- My fantastic friend gave birth to a healthy little baby girl. Welcome to the world Isabella.
- Wolverine, my dad, Lauren, Kerri,Â LinseyÂ and both of my grandparentsÂ all celebrated birthdays. Those sameÂ grandparents alsoÂ celebratedÂ their 65thÂ wedding anniversary.
Iâ€™m looking forward to____ in August:
August should be busy!Â Mr. O, Wolverine and I will be road-trippingÂ down to DCÂ and then headingÂ to Virginia to visitÂ some great friends and their new baby girl.Â We are also hopingÂ toÂ go camping this month. We’re going to a carnival and my brother’sÂ annual cookout (which I’ve missed the past two years).Â August 15th will be the first day my literary journal will be accepting submissions.
July was incredible. I’m so happy and proud of the fact that I graduated from my MFA program. At the same time though, I will miss it terribly. I’m so grateful that my dad is okay and I hope his healing process is smooth. I’m glad that Wolverine loved his actual birthday and his birthday party. I’m tired, but happy.
Want to know more about my experiences in 2012? Check out the previous months:Â JanuaryÂ andÂ FebruaryÂ andÂ MarchÂ andÂ AprilÂ and MayÂ and June
I’m happy July turned out so well for you!! Seems like lots of good things came your way 🙂
It was a great month, Melissa. Thank you. Seems like you had an awesome July as well!
Yay for you!!! So scary about your dad – but I’m glad to read that he & your mother were able to experience your graduation digitally 🙂
So jealous of your trip to D.C….I crave the East coast!
Aww. Thanks again. Yeah, it was a very scary experience, but in the end, everything worked out well (considering the circumstances).
I’m pretty excited about DC. You should take an east coast trip soon. (But I’m guessing it will be much harder seeing how far west you are now!)
I would love for you to post your speech! Here’s to an amazing August! Good luck with your journal 🙂
Thanks, Angela. I might post it on here with a password maybe? I’m not sure. I need to get it on my computer first.
You had QUITE the month!
Yes! Quite busy!
Congratulations on graduating with your MFA! That is such an amazing accomplishment; I hope you’re extremely proud of yourself. 🙂
Thank you, Gina. I am proud. More stunned than anything right now that it is over, but I am proud. I loved getting my MFA. I was very, very lucky to be in such a great program.